Sunday, December 5, 2010

End of Week 7 - and Mixed Metaphors

Mixed metaphors... done well if done intentionally, but usually done poorly because the person simply doesn't realize what they're saying. Here are two I've heard recently...

1) It was an eleventh hour, drop back and punt situation. Not only is this a mixed metaphor (taking the notion of completing a task in the 11th hour, or with very little time to spare, and confusing it with the notion of using 4th down to punt away the football, signifying a situation in which you are temporarily ceding control to another group, or giving up entirely), but the ideas themselves are completely disparate! An 11th hour situation is one in which you marshal your reserves and push toward the deadline... A drop back and punt situation is one in which you are giving up now in hopes of regaining the momentum later.

2) Two to one, half a dozen to the other. This one makes me laugh every time I hear the person say it... I'm not exactly sure what is meant, because it is nonsensical as is, but I think the confusion here is between suggesting there are "two" available choices, and that one of those choices is to call it a half dozen. We all know this should really be "six to one, half a dozen to the other," and it suggests that one person may use the number six, while another person may use the phrase "half a dozen" and they really mean the same thing... We'd use it to suggest, "Hey, you know, we may be using different words, but we're describing the same thing."

I know it shouldn't be funny to me when someone screws up trying to sound learned... but it is. I'm just a terrible person that way.

So, the walk/run today was very, very cold and wet... the course has managed to become almost swamp-like in places... and the air temperature this morning was about 27 F... so as I broke through thin layers of crusty ice, my feet got soaked in cold, gooey mud. I'm not complaining... I started to like it after a lap or two. It was a bit of suffering that I was able to transform into joy! My daughter, though, has insisted that if I were more careful, I could avoid the dampness along the course... so I invited her to come out with me next time! We'll see how she fares.

Because I missed last week, and most of this week I was out with a serious cold, I did an 11th hour drop back and punt kind of thing and reduced my distance back down to 2 clicks, or 2K if you prefer... two to one, half a dozen to the other.

Lap Times
Loop 1 (walk) : 4:19.4
Loop 2 (jog) : 3:05.6
Loop 3 (walk) : 4:27.0
Loop 4 (jog) : 2:57.4
Loop 5 (walk) : 4:22.8

Total distance: 2 km, Total time: 19:12.2, Best mile: 14:45.2
Weekly weigh-in: 320 pounds
Average power: 626 Watts
Heart rate following final run: 165
Heart rate five minutes after cool-down walk: 108

No comments:

Post a Comment