Sunday, October 24, 2010

End of Week 1

Well, the first week ended on a high... Walk/ran the course last Sunday, Wednesday, Friday and then again today, Sunday. Those three days (S, W, F) will work as something I can do week to week, which means it will be easier to keep up with the program.

So, the big excitement for me was getting a sub-three minute... 400m! Haha... It's nice that the "progress" can be mixed so effectively with "humility." But, progress is progress... I also added a bit more distance during the Friday walk/run, and changed the order to alternate walking and running each 400m loop, which I duplicated today.

The other thing I'm incorporating doing the walk/run on an empty stomach (e.g., see this article). One of the things I learned in long distance bicycling is that I'm usually good for about an hour of endurance work before I need to eat something. Since none of my walk/runs are going to push that time, there doesn't seem to be the need to worry about carrying water or eating before hand. Apparently, by working with low blood sugar, the body is encouraged to dig into fat burning mode... and this is a very, very good thing.

Lap Times
Loop 1 (walk) : 4:26.2
Loop 2 (jog) : 3:11.2
Loop 3 (walk) : 4:35.2
Loop 4 (jog) : 2:59.8       Woo hoo!
Loop 5 (walk) : 5:06.5

Total distance: 2 km, Total time: 20:19.8, Best mile: 15:12.4
Weekly weigh-in: 326 pounds
Average power: 602 Watts

2 comments:

  1. Way to go! Maybe come December I'll join you for a stroll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog. I think what you're doing is awesome, so I've decided to follow and cheer you on as you near your goal.

    ReplyDelete