Sunday, October 17, 2010

W minus 100 and Counting

Here are some fun fact numbers: 42, 326, 100, 1996.

The last time I ran in any way was 1996, at my final Marine Corps PFT. My three-mile time was 21:10. Not terribly impressive, but wait...

I'm now 42, and really, really need to drop about 100 pounds from my current 326. Yikes.

It shouldn't have gotten to this point, I know... I did Nordic skiing in high school, fencing in college, all the sundry physical activities that US Marines do, rode my bike from Maine to California in 1995... I have the ability to do aerobic work. What I lack is the internal motivation to do it any more.

So, a couple guys at work started running recently (one fellow who ran XC in his past, one fellow who never really ran), and I found myself wondering what was keeping me from doing it again. One of the problems of not being stupid is that you get good at rationalizing. I can come up with very good excuses very quickly... bad knees, sore feet, painful back, too tired, didn't eat right this morning, too hot, too cold, solar flares, the moon isn't in Taurus for Christ's sake how am I supposed to go exercise?!?

Well excuses be damned. I went down to New Balance, got a pair of trail running shoes (they had the MT910 in 4E width... so there goes the sore feet excuse), and began running... WILL begin running...

As soon as I set up a course.

No comments:

Post a Comment