Sunday, November 14, 2010

End of Week 4

The ground is still waterlogged with the heavy rains we received about a week ago. In the several low areas around the course, there is some standing water, but mostly the moisture lurks in the form of soggy moss and wet grass atop a rich stew of black, viscous mud.

My MT910 trail shoes, described last month, are up to the challenge in terms of grip and support, even in these messy conditions... but what they lack is a certain ability to disallow liquid dirt from getting in through the cool and airy mesh linings... Ah, well. Can't have it all. Although, I used to sport GoreTex socks as part of my bicycling kit, but I imagine they'd be somewhat uncomfortable for running. If conditions worsen, I'll dig them out and give it a go. On the other hand, there's a certain je ne sais quoi to having your foot plunge into freezing cold muck... motivates you to keep warm by running faster!

I does seem I'm getting a little faster... and I want these evolutions to be at least 20 solid minutes of effort... so I'll have no choice next week but to add some extra distance. We'll try by adding one extra lap each of walking and jogging, bringing the total distance (for next time) up to 2.8 km... Over half way to the 5K goal!

Lap Times
Loop 1 (walk) : 4:12.6
Loop 2 (jog) : 3:02.7
Loop 3 (walk) : 4:29.3
Loop 4 (jog) : 2:51.6     <-- Personal Best!
Loop 5 (walk) : 4:40.0

Total distance: 2 km, Total time: 19:16.2, Best mile: 14:36.2
Weekly weigh-in: 319 pounds
Average power: 622.2 Watts
Heart rate following final run: 174
Heart rate five minutes after cool-down walk: 117

No comments:

Post a Comment