Monday, November 22, 2010

End of Week 5 (or, how to run WITH a cold)

There is a certain lack of elegance to the most basic bodily functions. These are made especially inelegant when you happen to have a cold. As I had during the run today...

Before I go any further, I should admit to having grown up surrounded by potato fields and potato farmers in the northern reaches of Maine (in the very lovely town of Fort Kent - no sarcasm, I really enjoyed it). As such, you learn certain, let's call them "short cuts," when dealing with having, for purposes of this example, to blow one's nose. One simply plugs one nostril with a finger by applying inward pressure on the fleshy bit of the nose, and then takes a deep breath through the mouth, closes the mouth, and exhales as rapidly as possible through what will hopefully soon be a cleared nostril (the one you are not holding your finger up against). Repeat with the other nostril.

Now, it should seem obvious that performing this maneuver while wearing flip-flops is verbotten. Or should be, in decent company. But obvious things are not always evident to me... so I had to learn this particular lesson the hard way. Well, technically it was the "soft and gooey" way, but I'm sure the point has been made.

So, running with a cold... I don't recommend it. My dad swears that running will help "burn off" any kind of cold you may have, but all I really experienced was discomfort and a nasty taste at the back of my throat. Regardless, I had already decided to up the distance, so I did manage to complete a total of 2.4km today, and that is it's own little victory!

Lap Times
Loop 1 (walk) : 4:33.2
Loop 2 (jog) : 3:07.8
Loop 3 (3:1, jog:walk) : 3:29.2
Loop 4 (walk) : 4:39.8
Loop 5 (jog) : 3:08.9
Loop 6 (walk) : 4:43.5

Total distance: 2.4 km, Total time: 23:42.4, Best mile: 14:19.1
Weekly weigh-in: 319 pounds
Average power: 636.6 Watts
Heart rate following final run: 175
Heart rate five minutes after cool-down walk: 114

1 comment:

  1. haha, a farmer's blow! Is that what it's called in Maine, too (blowing your nose that way)? Doing anything with a cold is just yucky, so props! I would have been likely to use the cold as a lame excuse to skip the run!

    ReplyDelete