Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Long, Hard Road

It has been quite some time since the last official post, for which there are many reasons... but only one of which really matters: my motivation had flopped.

Despite having made gains and progress, and all that, my body was feeling beaten up more and more, and I just got frustrated, and mostly gave up. However, over the last few weeks I've started a walking routine each day before lunch, and I have a new set of goals and a plan...

Now, there is still running in this new goal of mine, but I'm not going to have a lot of running in my training. That may seem odd... Well, perhaps it is. But, my body gets beaten up when I run, so I'm only going to run during my weekly check-ins. In its place, I'm going to keep walking, and re-introduce an old love: in-line skating.

So, what are the new goals? To score 50% on each of the three components of the Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test (PFT), for an age 43 male. That means that I'll need to be able to complete 10 pull-ups, do 50 sit-ups in two minutes, and run 3 miles in 26:15. This would give me a score of 150 out of 300, and is what's called a 2nd class score (there are three classes, 1st class being the best). By way of comparison, to score 100% on the PFT, you'd need to do 20 pull-ups, do 100 sit-ups in two minutes, and run 3 miles in 18:00. I think my goal is attainable, albeit modest by Marine standards.


Time frame? I want to have met this goal by next year at this time.

Of course, I'll have to meet smaller goals along the way, and one of them will be simply getting to the minimum passing score of each event for an age 43 male, which is 3 pull-ups, 45 sit-ups, and a 30 minute run. I want to meet this goal by the end of October.

My training will be assisted by my returning to school full-time, as I'll have access to the fitness center equipment, an indoor track, and plenty of outdoor walking/running/skating trails to use. Like I mentioned, I'm not going to try and run every day, but I will do at least 30-45 minutes of aerobic work four days a week, and I will have a weekly check-in where I do all three events (pull-ups, sit-ups, run) and post the results.

I am not going to change my diet, as such, except to include nutritionally dense foods. Yes, I will still most likely eat my butter and cream... I'm getting in shape to get in shape, not to starve myself.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. So good to see you back! Your plan sounds great because it's realistic and seems tailored to your body's needs. I couldn't run either, my knees would be more arthritic than they already feel. And I'd have shin splints. Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! I've noticed over the last couple of days that as we get older and fatter the body does protest rather loudly to exercise. I've gone back to commuting by bicycle, and after two days, I am sore. Just reading about the marine fitness test made me cringe.

    BTW, one day you ought to post the story of your becoming a marine. I hear it's a decent tale.

    ReplyDelete